This simple snow cream recipe teaches you how to make snow ice cream whichever way you like it. We even show you how to make it dairy-free or sugar-free!
When I moved to North Carolina, I was told by some that my childhood was lacking because I had never had snow ice cream. I had never even heard of it! You can even buy it now from some ice cream manufacturers, but it’s a lot cheaper and a lot more fun to make your own.
Snow Cream or Snow Ice Cream
Snow cream is a sweet treat made with cream or milk, sugar or a sugar substitute, vanilla and freshly fallen snow. It dates back to the 15th or 16th century and early recipes included snow, rosewater, and sugar.
If you don’t want to use snow or don’t have access to it, you can use shaved ice.
Snow Cream Recipe
This basic recipe will teach you how to make snow cream in a simple way. For a fruity sweet treat try substituting the sweetener with 1/3 cup of your favorite macerated berries!
- 3-4 cups fresh snow (or substitute shaved ice)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup maple syrup, honey, cane sugar, or macerated fruit (if using stevia use this conversion calculator)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (homemade vanilla recipe)
- enough cream or milk to make it creamy (for a dairy free version use your favorite milk substitute)
- Scoop the snow into a bowl and sprinkle with your favorite sweetener (or macerated fruit).
- Stir in the vanilla and add enough milk or cream to make it creamy.
If you do use substitutes like stevia or monk fruit, I suggest starting with a bit and tasting it as you go. Too much can make it bitter. The same will hold true with milk substitutes so start with a small amount and add more if you like.
Eat your snow ice cream right away because if you wait, the snow crystals will freeze solid. If you wish to keep it, you can freeze the snow and shave it later. Or try freezing it in popsicles molds and eating whenever.
There is some concern about pollution and other contaminants when using snow. Fresh snow should contain little to none of these, but if there is a concern, you can use shaved ice made from your favorite water source.
Snow ice cream is a tasty childhood treat that everyone can enjoy. Have you ever tried it?