Homemade face moisturizer and wrinkle cream to keep that youthful look we all long for. It is natural so you avoid the harmful chemicals AND the high price!
This homemade face moisturizer and wrinkle cream is great for keeping that youthful look we all long for!
Earlier this week, I went to the mall in search of a new “miracle” anti-aging cream my sister was raving over. Of course, she bought it at a pricey department store and claimed it was made of “natural” ingredients, therefore justifying the outrageous price tag.
After warding off the pushy salespeople, I finally found the wrinkle cream she was talking about. The first thing I wanted to do was take a look at the ingredient list. In the first few ingredients listed, I saw three things that I refuse to put on my skin: parabens, sulfates, and fragrance. Like many, I am extremely sensitive to strong fragrances, especially when I am putting them near (or on) my face. As for parabens and sulfates, I know they will not help me to look any younger!
Ingredients for Youthful Looking Skin
When I got home, I pulled out my favorite essential oil resources and got to work creating a homemade face moisturizer to help me have younger-looking skin.
Two of my favorite essential oils happen to be mentioned quite frequently at Christmastime – frankincense, and myrrh. The wise men were extremely knowledgeable when they brought these compounds to Jesus on the night of his birth because they are very wondrous, indeed.
Frankincense essential oil has a very woody and spicy scent. It is wonderful for aging skin and helps to heal dry skin. It also helps spur skin cell regeneration, thus smoothing wrinkles.
Myrrh essential oil is also anti-aging and is an intensive skin healer (it works wonders on bed sores!). It smells much more earthy than frankincense but also has a spicy quality.
(For more frankincense and myrrh uses, check out these great articles: 5 Ways to Use Frankincense and Myrrh and Herbal Uses for Frankincense and Myrrh.)
Another essential oil that I love for skincare is sandalwood essential oil. Its scent is warm and sweet, yet also earthy and woody. It helps calm the skin and heal cuts and provides hydration for dry skin.
These three oils provide a powerful amount of skin healing, so I knew that I needed to find an equally awesome carrier oil.
I decided to use avocado oil because it is rich in fatty acids. This makes it highly skin penetrating, moisturizing and it promotes skin cell regeneration. When combined with the anti-aging properties of coconut oil and the protection of beeswax, it makes a fine face cream.
Homemade Face Moisturizer and Wrinkle Cream
- 1.5 ounces beeswax (find beeswax here)
- 3 ounces avocado oil (find avocado oil here)
- 3 ounces coconut oil (find unrefined coconut oil here)
- 15 drops frankincense essential oil (find pure frankincense EO here)
- 15 drops myrrh essential oil (find pure myrrh EO here)
- 10 drops sandalwood essential oil (find pure sandalwood EO here)
- Begin making this homemade face moisturizer in a double boiler by melting beeswax, avocado oil, and coconut oil together.
- Once fully melted, stir the cream and allow it to cool slightly.
- While still liquid, add essential oils to the cream.
- Pour into two 4-ounce containers (4-ounce glass mason jars work wonderfully).
Use a small amount of cream each night before bed. While it may seem hard, the cream softens as it melts onto the skin.
- This homemade face moisturizer and wrinkle cream will last for many, many months. As long as the cream doesn’t exceed the expiration dates on the avocado oil and coconut oil, it will not expire. That makes this recipe extremely cost-effective as well as a great gift!
- I also really like this recipe for scars and stretch marks as the oils used are great for skin regeneration. I just started using it as an all-over moisturizer and I am loving the wonderful skin-softening effects.
- If you don’t like the scent of frankincense and myrrh, you can simply use the sandalwood in their place, though the cream won’t be as effective.
- If you don’t have access to avocado oil, high-quality olive oil will work, though not as well as the avocado oil.
Do you like this homemade face moisturizer and are looking for other anti-aging recipes? Check out this Homemade Anti-Aging Vitamin C Facial Toner. I love the use of hydrosols and lavender!
Homemade Face Moisturizer and Natural Wrinkle Cream was written by Katie Vance.